Thursday, April 8, 2010

Never mind where's Waldo... who IS Waldo?

No I'm not talking about that lil' red striped guy that's always getting lost in a crowd, I'm talking about LA based Cuban designer Waldo Fernandez.  If you're not familiar with his work then do yourself a favor and check him out. His clients include Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Keanu Reeves and Tobey McGuire (just to name a few) and he was recently commissioned to design the new West Hollywood SoHo House. Having just spent the day lounging around this 20,000 square foot roof top penthouse, I must admit that I was wrong. Upon arrival I expected to see paparazzi swarming (only until they discovered I'm a nobody) just to unveil another Hollywood hotspot that seemed to be an excessively inspired and overly contrived backdrop for Hollywoods finest train wrecks. 

This selective club (still don't know how I got in) just happens to be anything but that. Although I saw my fair share of international celebs, nobody was sitting front and centre 'wishing' they weren't famous and there was no diva behavior in sight. I was met with down to earth friendly staff, warm patrons and fabulous cuisine; which all reflected itself in Waldo's amazingly understated, warm design.  With old books strewn about the lofted space, breathtakingly miss matched vintage pieces, reclaimed furniture and more art than you can poke a stick at, (look closely at the wallpaper in the restrooms)  I couldn't help but feel that if Anthropologie and my great grandfathers gentleman's club had a love child, West Hollywoods SoHo house would be it.  My next question is, how (and when) can I move in?




...cameras are not allowed in the SoHo house so please enjoy these original design sketches.. though different in reality it may give you some idea of the fabulousness that is Waldo Fernandez.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails