Friday, March 11, 2011

berry patient

"Patience is a virtue babe," my mum would say to a 6 year old mini me in her kindest yet slightly concerned voice, "and perhaps a virtue that could use a little work. Everything will work out the way it's supposed to 'Louie' {my families nickname for me} relax, what's the rush?"
This was usually said to me after hours of trying to perfect my pirouettes or grand jetes, exhausted and covered in blisters and bruises {baby black swan much?}.  I was a very driven, hard working little girl who always had a very clear vision of what I wanted my adult life to look like. My mum was always a little taken aback by how entrepreneurial and dedicated I was to 'succeeding'.
As I have grown and my ideas of 'success' have changed and evolved, I am still hard wired certain ways for better or worse. When I decide upon something, I'm an all in, give it everything you've got and lets make it happen....fast kinda gal.  Why wait when you know what you want?
Well 28 years has taught me that some things just can't be rushed. Like this ridiculous Berry Cinnamon pull-apart.  I know I want it, it knows I want it, but still it has its own agenda. It has its own process that it has to undergo, kneading time {pun intended} and space to grow before it can become even close to ready for what I have in store for it.
That's the thing about patience, it's not about waiting so much, it's about being mindful and considerate of all of the elements that go into creating something that you want. Trusting that when you do the work and have a little bit of faith, circumstances will a-rise {again, with the bread pun} exactly the way they're supposed to.
I don't know what's in store for me in the larger sense but I do know what I'm hoping for.  
Except this time around I'm trusting that all of the elements will come together for a sweet finish, the way they did for this ridiculously sweet bread. 
Berry Cinnamon Pull Apart
Recipe Adapted from Joy the Baker
Copy the recipe above but make the following changes:
  • I didn't worry so much about making the squares even. I enjoy a more rustic looking loaf but that's just personal preference!
  • after adding cinnamon dough squares to buttered and floured bread pan add 1/2 cup of blueberries and raspberries. Stuff them in between folds and around pan.
  • sprinkle 1 tablespoon of oats on top once right before baking
Happy weekend my beauties, sending some chirpy love world wide.

~ t xo

26 comments:

  1. Goodness I seriously want to make every single recipe you post on here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh what sweet lessons for the kitchen and life! i desperately want to make that... and i'm ready to take on the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've really found your voice. I love your stories woven throughout your recipes and gorgeous pictures. Always inspired.

    xx

    November Grey

    Secondhand Star

    ReplyDelete
  4. holy crap!you definitely improved on the original....i am so making this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read every word, every intended pun as I scrolled down to see the makings of this treat.

    Berry patient, indeed! I understand why though..Looks sooo worth it.. Will definitely file this in my "Gotta make this someday soon" binder :)

    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "If the angel is in the kitchen, who is looking after heaven." Love you and your recipes. Looking forward to our birthday cake. Mum 2 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered opening a little bakery? Goodness knows I'd find a way to get there. I remember reading once about teaching children values and lessons through tasks around the home and this reminded me of it because it said "to teach patience, teach them to make bread" ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. "That's the thing about patience, it's not about waiting so much, it's about being mindful and considerate of all of the elements that go into creating something that you want." Absolutely loved this post. I can relate all too well to your words, and it seemed to come at just the right time.

    ...and the Pull Apart, well that just looks delish :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. delicious! and a wonderful rumination on patience and growing up. i still don't bake that often. it's not lack of patience per se, since in the rest of life i'm willing to wait years for the payoff! it's lack of planning instead... xo bb

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so much better than pull apart monkey bread. I want a bite.

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG...Im craving it right now so much! It looks amazing, sweetie. Hugs and kisses

    ReplyDelete
  12. You make baking look so fun and glamorous, with your pretty red nails and pretty photos!!! I can't wait for you to make banners and categorize them, I'll be all over that!!
    Thanks for your input on the balance post, I appreciated reading it/hearing from you - you're one of my homies ;) and you're much appreciated as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Berry patient indeed and I just adore your tres chic nail polish, too. Nice to read this post on a Monday morning. Did some baking myself at the weekend here in Paris, France. Your berry patient looks Delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Delicious! Pull Aparts are the best - not only do they taste great, but they look so pretty, like the pleats on a woman's skirt. Love it!

    And I agree about success, my definition of success has changed since I was younger too. With age comes wisdom, I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That just looks so scrumptious...
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! That looks SO good! I love messy desserts, it's all part of the fun. LOVE your red nail polish-do share the shade!

    ReplyDelete
  17. oops I was writing a comment and it disappeared. I love the rustic look of this recipe and can't wait to try it! Plus love your story--obviously many sweet things are in store for you!

    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks so delicious it almost hurts, and I love your words on patience. Hope you're having a beautiful Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. honeslty love the fist bump in the dough lol. thats a very good message too.. I need to remember that as well.. I think we all do yes?

    ReplyDelete
  20. you did it again, you made me drool!
    xx
    callie

    ps I am hosting my first giveaway on my blog, come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this looks so good. hope you're whooping it up with your pals gf. and guzzling brown butter. did i just say that?

    xo,
    c

    ReplyDelete
  22. pull apart bread is my new favorite!! this look sdelicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. this looks like it would be insanely fun to eat!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails