Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whoa Baby!

When I see one of my dearest girlfriends with her baby everything in my body screams, "I want one!" It's true that I've always wanted babies but as I get older I become more aware of the complexities of raising a happy child and just how much it changes everything you once knew to be true.  
I spent an afternoon with this fashion savvy new mommy making her Mama's Abondiga soup and chatting about motherhood.
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 eggs
1 cup white rice
3 lg potatoes
1 tablespoon oregano
Salt and Pepper to taste

combine meat, eggs, spices and rice

What were the biggest changes you experienced after becoming a Mom?
Everything changes. You always have an idea of what motherhood will be like but it's all those things multiplied by all the things that you never could've anticipated. I expected my marriage to change but I didn't realize that it would change quite so much and all for the better. The love I share with my husband has deepened in ways that I didn't know were possible.  When I look at my baby, I see him starring back at me and the love that we shared in order to create her. It's more profound than I ever could've bargained for.
chop potato into large pieces and fill large soup pot 1/2 way with water. Bring to boil.

My friendships are the ones that have suffered the most since Stella was born.  Babies are magical little things, they have the ability to cut through all of the 'bs' and find out who's in for what. Sometimes we can find ourselves surrounded by friends that are all about the good times and that's okay but when you're a new mom and you're terrified, you need the real deal girlfriends, your 'sisters'. You need that tribe of people who will come over and listen to your fears about leaving the window open or ramble about the wonders of poop and how today you're a bad mom because you forgot to cut your babies nails. You need people around you who will give your friendship room so that you can become the woman and mother that you are trying to be. 
make meat into desired sized meatballs

Advice for new moms?  
Just let go.  Realize that you can't control everything, you will be surprised, confused, elated, EXHAUSTED and emotional on a daily basis from the second this creature is born.  Nothing will be how you imagined it to be.  Nothing.   ~ Except for how deeply you will love this child... and even the depths of that love will shock you
add meat balls to boiling water and allow meatballs to cook for 30 minutes

Baby weight advice?  
Don't even think about dieting for a good four or five months.  And even then - do it gradually.  Enjoy your time with your new cub, relax and eat the comfort food that (good) friends will bring to you.  I spent a lot of time worrying about getting my pre-baby body back, in addition to all of the other stresses and lack of sleep that comes with being a new mom!  It was so stupid.  Let yourself heal.  Again, let go!  I didn't even begin to feel like myself again until at least five months, and when I did, I was HAPPY to get on that elliptical and get back into the swing of life and watching what I ate.  And then the pounds just melted off.  But remember, your post-baby weight is determined by where your body was BEFORE you got pregnant.  I was lucky to have been in great shape because I was working out a lot with a trainer before our wedding, so that helped. 
add potatoes and continue to cook until potatoes are soft

Fashion advice for new moms?  
Don't go out and buy an entire new wardrobe for your "in between" size.  But it's ok to get a few things.  It will make you feel better than still wearing your maternity gear, and nothing is more depressing that trying to squeeze into your old jeans when you feel like you'll never fit into them again.  So, get a decent pair of jeans - don't spend a lot, you will get rid of these in a few months. (I found some at Old Navy, spent like $25 bucks, they were cozy, cool, inexpensive and I wore them every day!) Keep your leggings and flowy tops, but pack away your maternity clothes and THROW AWAY the giant underwear and go to Victoria's Secret to treat yourself to some new ones!  It will make you feel good and excited to get back to being you again.  Once you're back to your pre-baby size, follow my blog! hahahaha
serve piping hot with warm tortilla and cheese. Delish! 

1 comment:

  1. This was so inspiring to me! I've always thought about life changing after having a child, but it's so nice to hear the truth from mothers! I love your blog too! :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails